Chiropractic is a technique which manipulates the spinal cord in order to alleviate pain especially in the lower back and generally brings relief from pain where traditional medicines fail to do so. As with any science and especially science of medicine it is important that you select a professional who knows the job well. Chiropractic is a collection of a number of philosophies and this makes it a challenge to select the best chiropractor. Since chiropractic involves a physical procedure it is very important that you have a good rapport with your doctor. We have outlined here certain tips to ensure that you select the best chiropractor San Diego.
- Verification: This is the most important aspect of selecting a chiropractor. Check his/her credentials; you may also want to double check it with ACA which is the American Chiropractic Association for confirmation.
- Do your research: Ask the chiropractor about the treatment method used, for example some doctors adjust the spine using instruments while others use bare hands, and check whether the treatment is suitable in first place for your problems
- Inquire about visits: Generally payments are based on the number of visits made, so you may want to find the estimated number of visits required in advance. A good doctor will advise you to visit roughly 3 times a week for the first 2-3 weeks after which the treatment will be tapered
- Reviews: Check with friends and your family doctor for reviews, you may also ask the chiropractor to give the list of his past patients and get in touch with them.
- Avoid chiropractors who offer homeopathic treatments, dietary supplements and who recommend use of techniques like chelation therapy, acupuncture, applied kinesiology, activator methods, BEST, etc.
On the other hand, physical therapy is very important as it helps to recover faster post-surgery. It is therefore important to select the right physical therapist. You could follow these guidelines in choosing your physical therapist.
- As with any other medical profession your physical therapist should be licensed to practice. There is an organization APTA which is the American Physical Therapist Association which issues certifications for physical therapist. If the therapist has assistants, be sure that they do so only under the supervision of a registered therapist
- Check whether the clinic has affiliations with your insurance company as this will reduce your financial burden.
- Many physical therapists specialize in the treatment of specific body parts, so be sure you are visiting the right one.
Podiatrists are related to the treatment of injuries or any other diseases pertaining to the foot. While choosing a good podiatric apart from verifying his registration, you could also look for a podiatrist which suits your needs. For example some podiatrists specialize in injuries to the foot resulting from sports, while some practice only bio-mechanical podiatry.